Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

the DATU project: prologue behind-the-scenes

And so here I am after 2-days of working with the project.  I know people are slowly getting the hang of ROOK OF THE RATS and I'm glad that I got positive responses.  Thank you all.  Remember that if not for you guys, we won't have the drive to finish the race.  Thank you.  Now, for this EPIC work that we're tackling....

I'm going to give you a little background on THE DATU.  Written by Vivi Villegas when she was 20 years old, the Datu talks about the Philippine Mythology - their deities of old and heroes untold.  Despite the obvious Filipino History roots, this is an original work.  If you managed to get your hands on one of the first releases this coming November, you'll know what I'm talking about.

PROLOGUE SCRIPT - MASSACRED
I was dubbed the Project Director of this ICI project and I am very honored to work with MUTED COLORS: Offbeat and Offhand.  They practically blow me away with how they're illustrating the story.  It was fun discussing several dos and don't s with them throughout the weekend.  So yeah, as promised I'm here to show you progress with regards to this project.

As soon as we get the script for the Prologue, we massacred it.  For me, I can't help scribbling within the paper and yes~  I know it looks really bad.  But that's how we do it.  We scribble notes and little important details near the lines or arrow it.  

SCRIBBLES
We recently decided on the final LOOK of the first hero, PANAY.  He will be the main focus in the Prologue and I hope people will slowly warm up to THEIR OWN CULTURE.  I really hate when I see Pinoys cry over Japanese Kimonos.  I mean, I do have one in the closet but...it's clear in my head that IT IS NOT A PART OF MY CULTURE.

I also saw a comment saying that THIS PROJECT WILL NOT WORK.  Sigh~  What?  Because it's Filipino Based?  It's really ironic when people KILL THEIR OWN CULTURE.  Don't they realize that they're killing their identity?  Anyway, I'm not gonna rant away this post for that person.  

Yes.  We have already finished with the initial design and look of the DATU.  You might be surprised with regards to the PLOT and the Legends...so I am hoping you guys will open your minds.  Here are some of the designs made for the project.  Of course, I promised these...so yeah~  Here goes...


THE WARRIORS









 THE MONSTERS









 THE LADIES



 THE LOCATIONS AND STORY BOARD






 So yeah!  I hope it interests you guys!  This will be my last update till we get the VERY FIRST COLORED PAGE.  And I'll update you with the ROUGH.  Then, after that I won't be updating the progress.  You'll see it by next month by then.  Thank you all for your support!  AND FOR THAT, Here's the wonderful SUMAKWEL!



Shin Oe
 

No comments:

Post a Comment